Sunday, April 8

Kool Aid Egg Dye

Happy Easter to all of you!  I have quite a few posts that I am working on with all of the pre-Easter activities that we have been doing around here!  It has been a busy past two weekends and I sure wish I could post things right after they happen, but then life happens.

I will start my Easter Extravaganza with our egg dying experience!  Needless to say trying this with an 18 month old may not have been the best idea, but you live and you learn.  I decided instead of buying the egg dying kits that turn your hands colors and takes forever to get off of you and your clothes I would try the Kool Aid egg dye method I have seen all over Pinterest.




I went to the store and bought about 10 different types of Kool Aid and got the eggs boiled and outside we went to try our hands at this!

Luckily my MIL was here to assist in the nonsense!  I was able to mix up colors while her and Ella dropped the eggs and stirred them around.  Next year I will definitely purchase one of those egg holder things that make it easier to drop the eggs.  My kitchen spoon just wasn't good for little people hands!

We tried many times to explain to Ella Kate that she had to be careful and not stir to hard, but that really didn't go over well.  Shortly after this picture was taken she spilled one of the cups of Kool Aid all over herself which in turn caused her legs to break out.  Guessing she might be allergic to something they have in the Kool Aid!

She did really enjoy watching the eggs turn colors though.  But she was not so much a fan of having to wait for them to dry!

Here are our finished eggs!  I was extremely impressed with how bright the colors turned out.
Things we learned for next year:  Don't use grape kool-aid if you want purple... it comes out more brown.  Mix Cherry or Strawberry with the Blue one to get a prettier purple.  Add a little bit of orange to the lemonade to brighten up your yellow.  Add strawberry or a dash of cherry to the pink lemonade to brighten up your pink.  The green, cherry, blue, and Orange/Pineapple Mango all give you extremely bright colors just like you want!

We really enjoyed this project, minus the leg breakout and the bath that had to be given in the middle of it and will definitely try again next year! 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment