Friday, April 17

The First Real Cake Decorating Experience...

Well it is official! My first cake decorating experience is over and it was so much fun... and I have to say I am pretty decent at it too! But man your arm gets very tired! I don't know how cake decorators don't have one arm like 5 times the size of the other one!

First I am going to share with you the recipe I used for my cake... which tasted REALLY good... I only got to taste a little bit from when I had to take the top off to layer it, the rest went to Keith's office this morning.

Silver White Cake
From Betty Crocker Cookbook

2 ¼ cups cake flour or 2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups sugar
3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg whites (1/2 cup)

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour baking pan, 13x9x2 inches, or 2 round layer pans, 8 or 9 ½ inches. Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, shortening, milk and vanilla into large mixer bowl. Blend ½ minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 2 minutes high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg whites; beat 2 minutes high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan(s).

Bake oblong 35 to 40 minutes, layers 30 to 35 minutes (my oven it was 28 min) or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.

Now a little bit about the actual decorating...Here is a picture of my cake after baking and frosting.

As you can see, I am not the best froster... but I am working on it. Last night in class the instructor shared a secret to flattening it out. You use a peice of parchment paper and rub it on the cake in small circles. The lady that was sitting next to me already knew that and her cake looked AMAZING!

In class we learned how to make Stars, ZigZags, the Curved Line, and dots. For our cake we only used the Stars and the ZigZags but it was really fun to learn different techniques.

And here is the final product...



I can't wait for next week when we get to start learning the rose and also we get to learn how to make clowns!!!

1 comment: